Every year we are inundated with more warnings and reports on sun damage, skin cancer, and extensive lists of dermatological ailments. But your summer body is just begging for that perfectly bronzed finish. Anyone with just a hint of common sense knows you can’t put your future at risk for the sake of momentary vanity, but oh, being light just ain’t right! So what is a responsible, sensible person, gorgeous you supposed to do? Well, self tan of course! Seriously, think about it…no more sweating it out for hours in the heat, no more blisters and peeling, no more ouchies and einas. Just a deeper, darker shade of your healthier self. Voila!
We know that some self-tan options have not produced desirable results in the past, but so many new products have been introduced in the last 2 years, that you are now guaranteed to find a perfect match for your every mood. Most self-tanning products contain DHA, which is a colourless sugar that interacts with the top layer of your skin in order to darken it. When applying a self-tan product, always apply a small amount to test it before you cover your whole body. Some formulas allow you to build a gradual tan while others will give you that instant bronzed skin. Decide which product will be the best for you.
Here are some guidelines for desirable, streak-free self-tan results:
- Exfoliation – the first, and almost most important step to prepare your body for a smooth self-tan application.
- Shaving – it may be advisable to shave your legs a day or two before applying, this way it will not be too sensitive and you can avoid an allergic reaction or rash.
- Drying – make sure your skin is completely dry before applying your product, as it will streak otherwise.
- Planning – set aside several hours so you can make sure you have enough time to thoroughly and evenly cover each area and allow it to be absorbed properly.
- Selecting – it is important to choose the right product and colour. Always get your shade right and determine which texture would suit you best – cream, gel, spray or mousse.
- Protecting – to avoid blotchy self-tan hands, use gloves and also put some plastic or towels in your bathroom to protect surfaces from staining.
- Applying – the product must always be applied from the ankles upwards – it ensures a more natural-looking tan. Always make sure you blend the neck area and jawline when applying tan to the décolleté.
- Blending – combine your regular body lotion with your self-tan for application around ankles, wrists, knees and elbows – it should result in a lighter, more natural application.
- Faking – if you are not sure about about using self-tan on your face, rather use a bronzing powder to give you that instant glow.
- Avoid any contact with fabric or furniture for at least 15 minutes after application and don’t get dressed for about an hour.
- Try to wait 8 hours before showering or bathing.
- Maintain and prolong your colour – drink lots of water to keep your body hydrated. You can also apply a tan extender to keep your colour rich and lasting.
- Re-apply your self-tanning product for a deeper tan – if your tan begins to fade, just touch up and re-apply the same way you did previously.
Because we mentioned that some self-tanning products have proved to be undesirable, we’ve compiled a list of products that do come highly recommended:
- Vichy Capital Soleil Self Tan for face and body
- Clarins self tanning instant gel
- Skinny Tan 7 day tanner
- Skinny Tan 24 hour bronzer
For more information on overall skincare, please consult any of our skincare experts, or contact Sandra directly, at our Durbell Tyger Valley branch on (021) 914-1777. You only have one skin and yet many summers ahead. The best care now will produce the best results later too. So think ahead, keep calm, stay protected and look great. You will be so glad you did, someday…