Natural hair rules this summer! This season you can let it all hang out and embrace the natural look, but also remember to protect your hair from heat, sun, humidity and the harsh chemicals in water.
Here are some great tips to ensure that your hair stays and looks beautiful all summer:
- Wash and Go – Try not to wash your hair every day. Rather opt for natural drying than blow drying as this will dry out your hair even more. Go with the beach babe look!
- Cover your head – When you do decide to go out in the sun, wear a wide brim hat or scarf that can add extra UV protection. We sometimes forget that we can get burned on our scalp and that can have damaging effects to our scalp and hair.
- Loosen up – Put your hair up in loose, comfy styles.
- Avoid heavy creams and conditioners – Less is more during summer. Let your hair breathe and use conditioners less often.
- Reduce heat – Cut out the blow drying or flat ironing and give your hair a heat break as it will already get a lot of heat just from the sun.
- Spritz away – Make a hair spritzer or buy a spritzer and spray on hair to retain moisture. You can make a spritzer with water mixed with avocado oil, argan oil, placenta or even bergamot essence. Vichy’s mineral water also makes a good spritzer.
- Say no to swimmer’s hair – If you’re a blond who turns green after a dip in the pool, try rinsing out your wet hair with ¼ cup apple cider vinegar and 2 cups water to get rid of discolouration and dullness. It helps to get your hair wet before entering the water because then it won’t absorb as much chlorine.
- Sun protection – If you know that you are going to spend a day out in the sun or at the beach, add some sunscreen to your hands and lightly run your fingers through your hair. This may leave an oily residue, but the benefits are worth it.
- Natural oils – Oils like coconut, olive and avocado are great conditioners which can add moisture to your hair. Do a hot oil rinse or slap on a mask every 1 to 2 weeks.
- Add a vitamin – Add a vitamin supplement that can help to protect and enhance the vitality of your hair.
- Untangle – Use a wide-tooth comb instead of a brush for gentle untangling of hair.
- Trim your locks – Get rid of split ends and trim your ends to stimulate growth.
- What you eat is what you are – Diet and lifestyle is very important for your body and hair to stay healthy. Don’t over indulge and up your water intake during summer. Also ensure that you get enough fresh fruit and vegetables in your diet.
We highly recommend these products for healthy looking hair.
- Jeral Argan oil hair treatment
- Jeral Argan oil heat defence spray
- Vichy mineral water
- Nu-Hair placenta ampules
- Vichy Dercos shampoo
For more information on hair care, please consult one of our Health or Cosmetic consultants at our Durbell stores or phone – 0861-PHARMACY for more info.