We often forget about our hands during winter and the colder weather can make it flaky and dry. Skin is made to hold onto moisture and to naturally rejuvenate itself, but exposure to cold air, wind, dirt, chemicals, the sun and more, can gradually damage this layer. Damaged skin is also more vulnerable to environmental pollutants and UV radiation, which can accelerate dryness and aging. After our face, our hands are the most noticeable body part, but we do tend to neglect it. It’s also the fastest aging parts of our body, and if not taken care of, can actually make you look and feel older than you really are.
Here are 10 tips to make sure your hands are always in tip top shape:
- Use a moisturiser – Moisturise your hands several times a day to keep them hydrated, soft, smooth and protected.
- Don’t wash your hands too often as this can cause dryness. Alternate with a hand sanitiser or a natural hand wash enriched with natural oils and moisturisers.
- Consider wearing hand care gloves before exposing your hands to a lot of water, chemicals or sun when working in garden.
- Massage – Give your hands a quick massage whilst applying hand cream or lotion. This will help soften the skin and assist the moisturiser to penetrate.
- Sunscreen – Always apply sunscreen, even in winter. Sun damage can cause age spots and ageing skin.
- Exfoliate – exfoliate your hands once or twice a week with a hand scrub. This will stimulate blood circulation and rejuvenate the skin, making your hands look healthy and fresh.
- Vitamin boost – Top up on Calcium and Vitamin B – these can help with brittle nails and ridged nail beds.
- Humidifier – Use a humidifier in your office or at home to help moisten the air during winter. It will help prevent your skin and hands from drying out in the colder winter months.
- Mask – Treat yourself once a week to a hand mask to replenish and add intensive moisture.
- Nail care – Keep your nails clean and neat. Regularly apply a cuticle cream or oil and push back your cuticles often.
We highly recommend these products:
- Clarins Hand and Nail Treatment Cream
- Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Intensive Hand Cream
- Bioderma Atoderm Hand Cream
- Natural Garden Mango Cuticle Oil
- Prosana Hair & Nail Booster
- Durbell Hand Sanitiser
- AEX Rooibos Hand and Nail Cream
- Healing Hands Hand Cream
- Vital Multi-time Hair and Skin Tablets
For more information on hand care and overall skincare, please consult any of our skincare experts, or contact Riana directly at our Durbell Palmgrove branch on (021) 975-6570.