If you are able to listen to good advice and apply the lessons, then this article will benefit you tremendously. Pull up a chair and take this to heart, as it might very well impact your life forever.
Skin ages due to a variety of reasons. Researchers have studied how the formation of free radicals can set off a chain of events that causes damage, resulting in premature ageing of the skin. This ageing can be identified as the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, loss of firmness, uneven skin tone and age spots. Ageing is also accelerated by environmental factors, such as exposure to sun, smoke and pollution. Most indoor and outdoor activities can expose you to environmental threats, which account for 80% of skin ageing.
So what are these unfortunate free radicals? They are highly unstable cells, which are missing one electron. Once healthy cells are robbed of an electron, they cause damage to the cellular structures. Fortunately, this is where antioxidants come into play. These substances protect the cells in your body and stop the destructive cellular chain reaction. The result is effective protection from damage to your skin, as they quickly stabilize the free radicals. Some examples of topical Antioxidants used today include; kinetin, coenzyme Q10, Alpha lipoid acid, Vitamin C and E, and Idebenone.
Here are some tips to help slow down the aging process
- Always maintain a good skincare routine – cleanse, tone and moisturize and be gentle around the eye areas.
- Frequently exfoliate your skin – this helps to remove dead skin cells and helps skin to stay firm and reduce wrinkles.
- Antioxidants like Vitamin C, Q10, alpha-lipoic acid, and green/white tea prevent free radicals from damaging your skin. Both internal and external antioxidants are available on the market.
- Sunscreen is the number one preventative topical solution against aging. It is a precautionary method, which helps prevent the signs of aging, rather than reverse wrinkles, hyper-pigmentation, or anything else that has already set in. Sunscreen protects you from the sun’s harmful UV rays and prevents even more severe damage, such as cancer.
- This number one thing for anti-aging is not very dramatic, but its importance is often understated and overlooked. Living a happy, healthy lifestyle is the absolute best thing you can do to slow down the aging process.
- Whatever cream you slap on your face or whatever lasers you zap your skin with, do not and will not add up to the powers of a living a healthy and happy life. A healthy lifestyle helps you maintain a youthful look, feel great and live longer.
- Eating a well-balanced diet with enough nutrients and fatty acids, drinking plenty of water, not smoking, not drinking too much alcohol, laughing and not stressing out too much are all good anti-aging habits.
Good skincare is vital. And there’s a huge range of products out there to suit your skin type and your budget. Some are high-tech, some natural, and some combine the best of both.
Some of our top anti-ageing products in-store include:
- Elizabeth Arden Prevage range
- Payot Design lift range
- Clarins Super restorative & Extra firming ranges
- Bioderma photoderm spf 50 sunblock
- Vichy Lift Active range
Nowhere is our motto “Prevention is better than cure” more relevant and true than when it comes to skincare. It is virtually impossible to restore your skin to its former glory if you don’t take the necessary precautionary measures every day. So, for more information on anti-ageing and overall skincare, please consult any of our skincare experts, or contact Lesley directly, at our Durbell Panorama branch on (021) 911-2050.
Health and wellness cause you to live beautifully, feel beautiful and look beautiful. They always go together.